My love for muffins is back in full force, thanks to the seriously cold weather we've been having lately. This gem of a muffin book by Alison Holst circa 1994 explains everything you need to know from measuring, making different sizes and lots of other tips and tricks. It inspired me to make my own rather than buy the supersize ones from the cafe near my work. I started out with the first recipe in the book - Champion Cheese Muffins. I can tell you hand on heart, these are so easy to make.
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Measure dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix lightly to combine.
- Beat egg and milk until combined.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients but don't over mix.
- Spoon mixture into 12 medium muffin tray that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or lightly dab with olive oil using a paper towel.
- Add extra toppings if you wish (more cheese mmmmm, paprika or chilli powder).
- Bake at 210 degrees celsius for 12 minutes until golden brown and they spring back when pressed.
Makes 11 / 12.
My Fitness Pal tells me one muffin is approximately 127 calories based on 11 individual muffins.
Source: Alison Holst's Marvellous Muffins, 1994.